Tuesday, September 7, 2010

It's Almost Piggin' Time!

Now, for those of you who know me...I have never been much of a pet lover, but I have to say that my heart has been softened to these pink, squeally, long snout-nosed animals. Usually people have this mental image of what they "think" they know about pigs, and I have to admit that I was one of them...long ago.

When I married Jeff, Justin and Steven were already showing pigs, and I was there to watch, but can't say that I really got in there and got "down and dirty" with the pigs. That can no longer be said though! Since Cody started showing, and Jeff tends to be out of town more often during this time, someone has to go out and help with the pigs. Since there are only 3 of us at home now, that just leaves Cody and me! Yes, I've fed pigs, brushed pigs, weighed pigs, and cleaned the nasty wood shavings from their pens. Won't say it was enjoyable, but it had to be done! And I will say, that I have learned a lot about these cute little pets. They aren't near as stinky when they are as well taken care of as ours are. They also tend to get spoiled, just like children. :-)

Cody and one of his pigs (can't remember the name of this one, but isn't he cute!! and clean!!)

Tonight I spent over an hour listening to a guy from a feed supplier talk to the parents and kids about his feed product. (Jeff was at a fireman's meeting, so that left me again...) It was actually quite informational, and I must say that my husband was incredibly impressed with all of my "feed knowledge" when he returned home and I showed him all the notes I'd taken.

So...I feel like I have opened up a whole new world for myself. One which includes my boys walking around in rubber boots ( gotta get me some of those!) carrying pig bats, walking around in pig poop, and watching that little Wilbur grow into an "Incredible Pig!"

2 comments:

Jami said...

Ok. Sorry. Not convinced that pigs are cute -- unless they're stuffed. :-)

But so glad you all enjoy it and it's a family activity for ya.

I seriously think you need to get some polka-dot or zebra print boots! Seriously!

Joey said...

You can have the pigs to play with... I'll play with my baby!